The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is a federation of technical standards to be used worldwide. ISO 14001 is an international standard for Environmental Management Systems (EMS) and Environmental Policy and Objective Formation. These standards look at significant environmental aspects that organizations can control and which they can expect to implement.
ISO 14001 certification provides a framework for EMS implementation at Bridgestone Americas manufacturing facilities, and maintaining ISO 14001 certification remains a key management objective. This standard helps ensure that all teammates recognize their environmental management responsibilities, not just those with “Environmental” in their title. Bridgestone Americas requires all manufacturing facilities to obtain ISO 14001 certification within 2 years of our ownership. Currently, 52 BSA manufacturing facilities are certified.
In addition to these Environmental Management Systems, two of our manufacturing facilities have received certification from the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program. To become LEED certified, a building must obtain a certain number of points based on a variety of environmental construction and operation criteria. The Warren County, Tennessee, and Aiken, South Carolina, tire manufacturing plants are both LEED (Silver) certified – the first two tire manufacturing plants in the world to accomplish this achievement. Our Firestone retail store in Smyrna, Tennessee, achieved LEED (Gold) certification in 2009. Going forward, we are incorporating best building practices learned from our Smyrna store into all new stores.
Our environmental programs are often noticed and honored through awards. A few of the notable awards we have received in the past few years include:
- Green Partner Award from Honda of America Manufacturing
- Industrial Conservationist of the Year Award by the Tennessee Wildlife Federation (TWF)
- Industrial Conservationist of the Year Award from the Tennessee Conservation League
- Kodak American Greenway Award from the National Geographic Society & Eastman Kodak
- National Heritage Conservation Award from the Tennessee Department of Environment & Conservation
- National Performance Review (Hammer Award 33/50 Program) from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA)
- National Stewardship Award from The Conservation Fund
- Outstanding Environmental Performance & Wildlife Enhancement Certificate from the U.S. EPA and the Wildlife Habitat Council
- Recognition of Achievement Award for Environmental Leadership from the Ford Motor Company
- Recognition for Participation in the U.S. EPA’s SmartWay Transportation program
- Tennessee Trails Awards from the Tennessee Trails Association
- 2008 Governor’s Environmental Stewardship Award for Excellence in Pollution Prevention by Tennesee Governor Phil Bredesen
- 2009 Wildlife Habitat of the Year by the Wildlife Habitat Council
- National Partnership for Environmental Priorities (NPEP) Partner of the Year for the ”Get the Lead Out” wheel weight initiative
- First tire plant in the world to achieve ISO 50001 – The Bridgestone Tire Plant in Wilson, North Carolina, 2012
- 2013 North Carolina Environmental Stewardship Initiative’s Environmental Steward Award (highest level) – The Firestone Fibers & Textiles Plant in Kings Mountain, NC
These awards represent recognition from programs of the federal govenrment, state governments, non-governmental organizations, the auto industry, and community groups. For this we are truly thankful and pledge to continue our leadership efforts in protecting our shared natural world.